Capsule Wardrobe | Berry Paradise

On my summer bucket list, I mentioned wanting to start a capsule wardrobe and I have!! Well, I think. I’m still googling and reading as much about it as possible.

I explained, a few posts ago, that a capsule wardrobe is basically a teeny wardrobe for each season with your favorite pieces that you can mix and match easily. And that I pretty much wear my favorite things over and over anyway. A capsule wardrobe gets rid of all the excess and fluff I never wear and saves space, time, and  money. You can learn more about creating a capsule wardrobe at a blog I’m following called Unfancy.

Before I give you the current status of my closet, I have to back track to about 3 years ago- when my little Ella baby bump began to grow.

Screen shot 2014-06-08 at 3.03.10 PM

I thought I would be resourceful (read: I realized maternity clothes was crazy expensive) and just buy a handful of pants and shorts, and I could just wear the shirts and dresses that I already had. This worked out great!! Until I wasn’t pregnant anymore. I was left with all of my favorite shirts and dresses that had grown and stretched with my belly. Hello maternity clothes for next baby!

* I have a feeling I should clarify that this is not a pregnancy announcement.:)

Once I finally lost the baby wight, I had no clothes. ZERO. I may be exaggerating, but that’s what it felt like!! I went on a new-mommy-shopping-spree and without much consideration began slowly to fill my closet with mediocre, “just because,” trendy items. Until a few weeks ago,  that is, where I got rid of almost everything in my closet to begin working on my Capsule Wardrobe.

I was left with six tops, a couple of jeans, several shorts, a few dresses, and one skirt. And to be honest, I’m not even sure if I love all of those. Am I crazy? Probably. But with the capsule wardrobe I only get to have 37 items! I want LOVE, LOVE, LOVE  each of my options. Like this pretty top, for example…

stayathomemommyoutfitspt.1-01

SO versatile, simple, and cute- I seriously have to stop myself from grabbing it out of my closet to wear again. I want to feel the same way about each and every item in my closet. Is that too much to ask for?! 😉 How is YOUR closet? Are you working on it too? Share some tips and tricks with me! I’ll share more inspiration as soon as I find the next item that I LOVE. xo

Maternity photo by the lovely Annie Agarwal.

June 9, 2014 - 3:42 pm

Jessica - I started researching this when you mentioned it before. I’m starting mine this summer too. I have SO many things that I never ever wear. So instead of going on my usual summer shopping spree and forgetting about all of those clothes at the end of the summer, I’ll buy only things I can create a professional outfit out of for my internship in the fall. This is the best money/laundry/closet space saving idea ever.
Love you!

June 9, 2014 - 4:05 pm

Taira Gladwin - One thing we’ve started doing to clear out the closet clutter is that in January, we turned all of our hangers backwards in the closet. Then, as we wore each piece, we turned the hanger back to a normal hanging position. Then, at the end of set amount of time (seasonally, every 6 months, bi-monthly, yearly, etc.) we take the clothes that have not been worn in the set amount of time and get rid of them. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Now, this can vary depending on the person. For example, at the end of winter, I cleaned out anything I hadn’t worn from January-March. But I didn’t clear out anything for Spring/Summer. Once the new school year rolls around, I will reassess the status of my closet and once again clean house. I’m still looking for a way to do this with my clothes in drawers (like shorts and T-shirts), but the closet method has been very effective thus far, and keeps me from continually repeating outfits!

June 9, 2014 - 4:15 pm

Caroline Joy - I love that top + how versatile it is! Especially loving the last look with the striped skirt. I’m so glad you’re finding so much success with your capsule wardrobe! xoxo Caroline

June 16, 2014 - 9:08 pm

Brigette - Oh what a fun to surprise to have YOU comment on here!! YAY! xo

June 16, 2014 - 9:10 pm

Brigette - YAY! Love you!

June 16, 2014 - 9:11 pm

Brigette - Yes! I’ve heard of this, Taira!! That’s awesome that you stick to it!! Way to go! And when are you coming back to visit?! 😉

August 28, 2014 - 6:54 pm

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *